Passport & Visa Requirements | Rocky Mountaineer
Skip to main content

Passport & Visa Requirements

All visitors to Canada will require appropriate ID, passports, and documentation for all family members. We strongly recommend making copies of all travel documents and keeping the copies in a separate location from your originals, such as your luggage, in case of loss or theft.

Entry into Canada:
Depending on your citizenship, you may require a visa to enter Canada. As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Some international travellers who fly to Canada will need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), prior to boarding a flight to Canada. Learn if  you need an eTA for entry into Canada. We strongly recommend that you check for additional entry requirements for Canada.

Entry into USA:
All guests travelling between the USA and Canada will require a valid passport and/or visa (depending on your citizenship). Please visit the United States Bureau of Consular Affairs for entry requirements into the USA, and to see if you are from an eligible country for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). All International guests travelling to the USA are required to visit the ESTA site and complete the form as soon as travel is planned. If you are from an eligible country that is currently enrolled in the Visa Waiver Program, you can expedite your entry through United States Customs and Immigration by completing your Visa Waiver electronically.

It is the responsibility of each guest to identify and obtain the necessary paperwork and visas before the start of their trip, for entry into Canada and/or the USA. Permission to enter the United States or Canada is granted solely at the discretion of Customs and Immigration Officers.

Certain types of products are regulated or prohibited when travelling between Canada and the USA (including restricted food items such as meat, fruit, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials).

Rocky Mountaineer is not responsible for guests who are refused entry into Canada or the United States because of inadequate documentation, for other causes, or for inadmissible reasons, such as criminal driving offences.