Luggage allowances onboard Rocky Mountaineer
Your rail journey includes complimentary luggage check-in and transfers* between destinations. Our luggage guidelines include:
- Maximum two pieces of luggage per person
- Total weight of luggage per person not to exceed 30kg or 60lbs, with a maximum weight per piece not more than 23kg or 50lbs
- Oversized items may be subject to surcharge
- All luggage is subject to Rocky Mountaineer’s luggage policy
- Pack your fragile or breakable items in your luggage with care. Rocky Mountaineer is not responsible for any broken items.
Please note, if you booked a package there may be additional luggage restrictions due to accommodation or transportation inclusions. Refer to your travel documents for further details.
You are prohibited from carrying firearms, flammable, hazardous, illegal, or radioactive materials onboard the train or motorcoach transfers, or in your luggage. Rocky Mountaineer will not be liable for any luggage containing such materials. We reserve the right to refuse boarding or detrain guests who do not comply with our safety and security requirements. If you are travelling internationally, please refer to please refer to US Customs and Border Protection and the Canadian Border Services Agency.
Luggage & identification tags
All checked luggage must have a Rocky Mountaineer luggage tag. You can receive your luggage tag at the Guest Centre in your departing destination. Each piece of luggage must also have a personal identification tag, including full name, return address and phone number.
Please refer to your travel documents for specific details on luggage handling in each destination. For bookings that include luggage handling, please confirm with the hotel concierge or front desk on where to leave your luggage for pick-up by the time outlined in your travel docuements.
- Midpoint Destinations: Kamloops, Quesnel, Whistler, or Glenwood Springs: your luggage handling is included to and from your hotel in each of these destinations.
- Arrival/Departure Destinations: Vancouver, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Denver, or Moab: if you have booked your accommodation through Rocky Mountaineer, your luggage handling is included. If you have booked a two- or three-day rail journey or have not booked accommodation through Rocky Mountaineer, your luggage must be brought to the station or train transfer location, and will be available for collection upon arrival at the station or your final train transfer location. Please refer to your final travel documents for locations and timing.
- Sightseeing Tours and Transfer Destinations: Calgary, Las Vegas, or Salt Lake City: if your package includes a motorcoach sightseeing tour at the beginning or end of your rail journey, your luggage handling is included.
*Please note that due to Covid-19 protocols, luggage handling procedures may vary in some destinations. Our team will inform you of these changes if applicable.